Zero degrees longitude marks the spot. In the top photo is Inigo Jones design for the Queen's House dating from 1616-1635 (small white building on axis in background), Sir Christopher Wren added the Naval Academy in 1664 (foreground buildings) and the Royal Observatory (barely vivible on the hill) in 1675. It was in the oservatory that John Flamsteed made observations until his death in 1720, later published in his star catalog of 1725 as a navigational aid to seamen.
 

 
Colonnade of the Naval Academy
 

 
The Queen's House
 

 
Stairway at the Queen's House
   

 
Overview of site from rear garden
   

 
The Royal Observatory

 

HomeHome
EmailEmail

demel.net home