projects  about  contact  slideshow


St Ann's Warehouse
Main theater building facing Water Street, under the Brooklyn Bridge

Tobacco Warehouse, 1936 and 2014

Entrance from the park and view of the
                        Brooklyn Bridge
Entrance facing to the park and river

Open Performance Floor
Theater interior

Constructed in 1860 and pre-dating the Brooklyn Bridge, the 5-story Tobacco Warehouse was an integral part of Brooklyn's working warehousing waterfront.  The upper three stories were removed in the mid-20th century and since 2000, its brick masonry walls stood as a roofless ruin.  The building was placed on the National Register in 1974.

A new performance space has been built within the the original masonry walls, providing reconfigurable, flexible seating arrangements for up to 700 persons.  A steel framework supports the building's vertical extension of glass brick.  This creates a clerestory for daylighting, overhead theatrical lighting and other systems, above the clear performance floorspace below.

Set within a park and active community, the building can be accessed on all sides.  The entrance lobby and smaller space for rehearsals and community use faces towards the river and park.  Other doors open directly to Water Street and a triangular-shaped garden that remains as an open-air ruin.

Scott Demel acted as director for the St Ann's Warehouse project at Marvel Architects, contributing to the project's initial development and approach to execution in detail and construction.


American Institute of Architects, National Honor Award, 2017

AIA New York State Design Award of Excellence, 2017

American Institute of Architects New York Chapter Honor Award, 2016

Municipal Arts Society MASterworks, 2016.

Production of Henry IV, directed by Phyllida Lloyd and featuring an all-woman cast.

Entrance from the Gsraden
Entrance from the garden

Garden to the Main Entrance
Open-air garden

Photography by David Sundberg / Esto.  Historic photograph by Bernice Abbott, 1936.

^ Return to top of page ^